The church of Saint Maria Maggiore
The church of Saint Maria Maggiore is found in plaza of the Vescovado
The church was built above an ancient Roman temple (perhaps devoted to Giano and of which something is still visible in the undergrounds) in the classical Gothic Roman style assisiano of the XI - XII.
The church of Saint Maria Maggiore was existing to the epoch of St. Francis and was used up to 1035 as Cathedral in Assisi (at least up to that the Cathedral of St. Rufino was not ended and the Bishop Ugo transferred here the bishopric).
The fašade is sober, with only a small central rose window, while the inside is separated in three aisles.
Not missed to visit the crypt paleocristiana.